Saturday, December 26, 2009
 
Book Report: "One Moment, Sir!" Cartoons from the Saturday Evening Post selected by Marione R. Nickles (1957)
Well, I've read another book of cartoons to make my annual total more impressive. Also, it's a handy book to read when you're watching a football game, as you can read a cartoon or two between plays. So that explains why I spent some time on a fifty year old book of cartoons designated for the sophisticate reading a magazine founded by Ben Franklin. Back in the 50s, it was more a general interest magazine; now, it's a medical-themed magazine angled for the oldsters who still subscribe to it. And to me, since I subscribe to it.

For the most part, the cartoons are more clever than what you get from Heathcliff or Family Circus, but they don't have to work in a cat or a series character and they don't have the crutch of hitting common series tropes. On the other hand, the merchandising money is far less. So it's a slightly better read than a book in those series, but it's also less likely to connect you nostalgically with things you read when you were younger.

Unless, I guess, you're about 30 years older than I am and your parents subscribed to this magazine.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."