Saturday, November 21, 2009
 
Book Report: America on Six Rubles a Day by Yakov Smirnoff (1987, 1993)
I enjoyed Yakov Smirnoff's humor back in the old days (those 1980s again) when his America vs. the USSR and incredulous immigrant schtick brought a unique perspective to being an American. This book recreates a bunch of those moments, and since I can remember what that was like, I can still laugh with it. Since I'm seeing the USA of today turn into that USSR of his humor, it's not humor without sadness.

I know Mr. Smirnoff has continued to work the comedy thing, so I have to wonder how much I'll enjoy the contemporary Yakov. Since I'm in Springfield, where Professor Smirnoff teaches at MSU and near where he has a theater at Branson, I'll find out, certainly. I might even run into him on the street someday.

So consider this review a preliminary suck-up.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."