Saturday, November 15, 2008
 
Book Report: Event Horizon by Steven E. McDonald (1997)
You know, I kind of knew the premise of the book. The sort of thing I like: a mystery involving a big ship and whatnot (such as Ringworld, Rendezvous with Rama, and so on). I didn't see the movie because I heard it was a bit of a gorefest in space with an ultimately weak premise.

I had some hope when the thing began; however, it hit the pivotal climax with disturbing imagery (here, recounted in word, but that's disturbing enough). The bodies start dropping, and random characters survive. The premise, of course, is that the ship has wormholed through Hell or something and it has become possessed by an intelligence that wants to kill people. A sad, weak premise, ultimately, and not up the the hopes I'd had.

But if you go into the Hyundai dealership looking for German engineering, you're bound to be disappointed, but at least you'll be disappointed cheaply.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."