Sunday, September 14, 2008
 
Book Report: Murder at the ABA by Isaac Asimov (1976)
Isaac Asimov not only wrote science fiction, not only wrote science fact, but also wrote mysteries. This particular bit is one such, and it's one that includes Isaac Asimov as a character. The first person POV focuses on Darius Just, a literary author whose protege is murdered at the American Booksellers Association conference in New York. Just finds the body and determines that, although staged to look like an accident, his tempermental and sexually deviant, uh, protege (I already called him that, but other nouns are not forthcoming) was murdered. Just has, uh, only four days to find the murder. And if he does, he'll let Isaac Asimov write the book.

Asimov has fun with the book and with using himself, going so far as to have footnote back-and-forth with Darius Just. Along the way, it's a whodunit sort of mystery where you could figure it out, sort of, if you looked in the right places. Me, I don't puzzle the book out that way, so it's not ordinarily my cup of tea. But I enjoyed it.

As a side note, I'm actually re-reading this book. I first read it in high school, lo those many years ago. I liked it enough to pick it up for a buck, and all I remembered was the gimmick of having Asimov in it.
Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."