Thursday, July 31, 2008
 
Good Book Hunting: July 30, 2008
Yesterday (yes, Wednesday), my beautiful wife and I sneaked off to a church rummage sale alone together, so we had some prime browse time and a chance to pick up some books. Here they are:

Pile of books from a church rummage sale
Click for full size

Among my purchases, you'll find:
  • The Battle of Midway Island, a paperback history of the World War II battle.

  • Nine To Five, the paperbackization of the movie. I saw that movie within the last two years, I think. Maybe three.

  • A Russian/English/English/Russian dictionary. True story, in the middle 1980s, while in middle school, I tinkered with teaching myself Russian. Just in case they invaded, I wanted to have wisecracks they'd understand as I partook in the street to street fighting in my trailer park. This was before my physics class that would teach me that street to street fighting in a trailer park would not leave much time for the scrappy Wolverinesish middle schoolers to make cracks. Still, I got one now because I didn't yet have one.

  • Wisconsin: Off the Beaten Path just so I can see where I've been and where I should go.

  • Cotswold Mistress a novel about something. It was a fifty cents, that's my excuse. Also, I've been jonesing for some acquisitions, I guess.

  • See, I Told You So, another copy of Rush Limbaugh's second book, ca. the middle nineties. Funny that he hasn't written more, but I guess book royalties might not be a good return on his investment vis-a-vis other things he can do.

  • Buckley: The Right Word, a vocabulary builder, I think, based on the work of William F. Buckley, Jr.

  • Complete Works by William Shakespeare in the Walter J. Black Classics Club edition. Note that I paid fifty cents for it. You Google searchers who inherited a pile from your predecessors and want me to tell you they're worth a lot of money, take note that you can get them for fifty cents each or a dollar each at garage sales and book fairs and about five bucks at used book stores that bother to stock them. They're not old, they're not rare. Get a job.

  • Excessive Joy Injures the Heart. I think it's one of those chick novels. It had a cool title and it was a ha'buck.

  • Bruges and Its Beauties, a guidebook to some city somewhere. I'd better set a bit from a suspense novel I write in it sometime, or I will have wasted this quarter.

  • Several Sunset paperbacks about fixing up your home. I got something about decks, something about wiring, and something about painting and wallpapering.

  • The Great Lakes and Florida, two photographic journey coffeetable books because I've been to both places and because I can probably browse them during baseball games.

  • Five CDs of artwork, including 2 Renaissance collections, 1 Impressionism collection, and the Vatican's collection. I think they might be art history things. They were like a buck each, so probably worth it.

So there I have them. A bunch more books to read when I'm done with 600 page academic history library books.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."