Monday, June 02, 2008
 
Book Report: Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (?, 1978)
This is a collection of fantastic stories for children, which explains why not many brown people were oppressed in the book, although the book does include the word nigger in it. I'm sure one could go in depth to find language structure and plot points to identify how Kipling wanted to use this book to indoctrinate the young in old England to believe in their cultural superiority and need to overrun the heathens. I think many have.

However, it's probably best just to enjoy these stories for what they are and for the language within them.

Please note that this children's book represents the 49th book I've read this year. I don't count the board books, but things over 100 pages, especially Rudyard Kipling, count in my annual reckoning.

Books mentioned in this review:


Comments:
I absolutely adore Kiping. I've been reading The Jungle Books.. actually, I started reading it and laid it down somewhere and forgot about it but now that I see your post I have now suddenly remembered so I have to go home and try to figure out where I put the damn book.
 



I would have expected kiping to be illegal in Georgia, but I guess your Supreme Court has overturned those laws.

So good for you. Kipe all you want, Deb.
 



Post a Comment

<< Home
 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."