Wednesday, June 25, 2008
 
Book Report: Bread by Ed McBain (1974)
I passed up a couple of copies of this at the St. Charles Book Fair because I knew I had a copy of it at home. The copy I have is an ex-library copy, so because I wasn't that attentive, I passed up a chance to upgrade. One of these days, I should really add my to-read shelves to my database and run a comprehensive report before I go so I know what to look for and what to buy. But that's more organized than I pretend to be.

This book is a 1974 87th precinct book, which means you'll not find it as easily in the wild (St. Charles Book Fair notwithstanding) as you'll find the 80s-00s books, so I'm glad I got it regardless of the edition. One finds that McBain's quality remained pretty steady throughout his career.

This book deals with an arson fire that destroys a shipment of toys, putting a company's owner in a bind. Investigating leads the 87th Squad to find some dubious investment schemes and a series of related murders that indicate something more than toy selling was going on.

It's a good book, and it's dated a bit. I mean, pushers want bread, dig? But still a worthy read.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."