Saturday, May 03, 2008
 
Things You Didn't Know I Collect: Goblets
Sometime just before the turn of the century, back when I spent Saturday mornings and part of the afternoons scouring garage sales and estate sales for stuff to list on eBay, I encountered a single goblet at a garage sale marked a quarter. Hey, a goblet! I could drink my soda/wine/beer like a king! So I bought it.

Then I found that a yard sale or two each week that had a goblet, sometimes two, and rarely three. So I'd buy those, too. So I could drink like a king in different colors each night or without having to wash the dishes between drink like a king sessions. Suddenly, I was collecting goblets:

The Noggle Goblet Collection
Click for full size


Since filling the tops of my cabinets a couple years ago, I haven't acquired anything new in a while. I haven't seen them as often of late at the garage sales we attend; I don't know if this means that I've bought them all, or if our change in suburbs has caused a change in garage sale vendor demographics to people who wouldn't own goblets in the first place, but there you have it.

I took them all down this weekend and washed them for the first time in two years (!), and I've discovered I do have a little room up there for a couple more goblets....

Also note that my goblet collection includes a stein; this was a gift from my mother in law, who misremembered the beer consumption vessels I collected.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."