Thursday, January 31, 2008
 
Book Report: Ranting Again by Dennis Miller (1998)
Wow, is this book really 10 years old? Man, I read the original book, The Rants only....12 years ago, I guess. Funny how those years condense in memory. I'm reading another book whose predecessor I read in my old house, probably 3 years ago, and that doesn't seem so far back.

Regardless, let's get to the book in hand. It collects Dennis Miller's monologues from his old HBO show which he got right after he left Saturday Night Live. All those years ago. They're seasoned with his allusions, which you get enough of to think yourself smart when you get them. He takes on the normal topical topics, like kids these days (which are now kids those days and adults now), politics, government, and relationships. The titles are broad and the topic matter, too, is broad, and somehow, it saddens me and comforts me that the rants could hold up today, a decade later. Particularly if you just change the name "Clinton" to "Clinton." We haven't come very far in this decade, but we haven't gotten much worse.

Additionally, it's odd to note that Dennis Miller, before 2001, sounds more like an intelligent Bill Maher politically than he does now. He says, I think, that he changed in 2001. I would say so.

Good, interesting reading worth a look.

Books mentioned in this review:

 

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."