Monday, January 14, 2008
 
Book Report: The Fred Factor by Steve Gill (2007)
You know, I don't think I've ever picked up a book about or by a candidate while the campaign was going on (although I did read Ross Perot's book some years after United We Stand was forgotten as a book and as a political force). Still, as part of the Christmas present for my two conservative uncles (mentioned here), I got them this book in addition to an anti-Clinton screed I knew would go over well (I forget which one I got them; there were so many from which to choose!).

I bought a copy of this book for myself so that I'd be familiar with it as well. I mean, you can tell by my sidebar that I support his run and all, so it's preaching to the choir, really.

The book breaks down into three sections, really:
  1. Fred Thompson's biography.
  2. Horserace handicapping ca last summer.
  3. A collection of Fred Thompson's writing.
Additionally, there's a bit thinking about whom Fred Thompson could select as a running mate. Both of the handicapping sections are weak, especially as time has rendered the possibilities impossible (that is, things didn't fall the way the author presents as a best case scenario). However, the biography and the political essays by Thompson himself are nice, but are available on the Internet.

Ergo, the book's best as a gift for someone whom you want to convince that Fred's the man and to whom you want to give something more than a collection of URLs.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."