Sunday, October 14, 2007
 
Good Book Hunting: October 13, 2007
This week, we stopped at only 3 sales because we had prior commitments. However, I found something.

An abbreviated trip
Click for full size


  • Firefly; it cost $10, which is more than I would normally spend on media at a garage sale, but all the cool kids like it.

  • The first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation; some Christmases ago, Heather bought me the second season for Christmas and we watched it together. Now we can continue that tradition, probably sometime after our next generation is done.

  • Metropolis on videocassette; I've never seen it and it's supposed to be something. I want especially to see if Fritz Lang anticipated a lot of unemployed computer contractors and a declining economy after the non-event of a computer bug.

  • Guerilla PR Wired; anyone who can combine wires, Kalashnikovs, and marketing must have something interesting to say.

  • Six Sigma; I can read this and review it on my other blog. Maybe you've heard of it, QAHatesYou.com?

  • A pair of history books from the 1930s, Origins of the American Revolution and The Growth of the American Republic; it was odd to see these amongst bins of cartoon, animation, and film books, but the seller said they'd been his father's.

  • The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethus; If I'm going to use and abuse books, I should get some consolation, should I not?

  • English Literature to 11660, a textbook; bought from some former teacher/professor who was unloading a pile of text books and original materials. If they had been hardbacks, particularly the original texts, I would have bought far more.

  • Gangbusters by Michael Stone; a true story about a NYPD Homicide Unit took down a gang.

  • Quick Lit: Plots, Themes, Characters, and Sample Essays for the Most Assigned Books in English and Literature Classes--Written by Students for Students; of the 35, I've read 27. And, truth be told, I don't have trouble telling apart the Great Literature I've read; instead, I could use a resource that helps me keep track of the various and sundry genre fiction I read. Oh, right, that's this blog for the last couple of years.
You'll notice the single John D. Fitzgerald book to the right for the boy. Just like his daddy, he acquired without really knowing what's on his shelves, and Me and My Little Brain is the only one of the Great Brain series he owns. Now, temporarily, he owns two.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."