Sunday, September 30, 2007
 
Book Report: Webster Park: 1892-1992 by Wilda H. Swift and Cynthia S. Easterling (2003)
This book wasn't even on my to-read shelves; I went to the library and actually checked it out. Since we moved to Old Trees from our twenty-year-old incorporated-out-of-convenience suburban municipality to an older town, I grew interested in the history of the area and whatnot. It's an interesting set of neighborhoods with homes that don't all look the same, and so I borrowed a couple of books.

This particular one deals with a land development that's now a neighborhood not far from here and details the first 100 years of its existence with an essay about its origin and early years, an essay about the governor and the Nobel Prize winner who lived here, some early maps, and an inventory of the homes and when they were built.

I enjoyed the book, which was a quick enough read and lots of pretty pictures. It's given me some architectural insight (I know what a gambrel roof is) and some historical knowledge (I know how Big Bend got its name). These are the sorts of things that make people wonder how I learned the trivia I know, and these are the sorts of books I read to get that knowledge.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."