Wednesday, July 18, 2007
 
LOLCat All the Way to the Bank
I've linked to it before and I read it a couple times a week, but now it's a bona fide Web phenomenon: I Can Has Cheezburger? appears in Business Week:
    He saw traffic on the blog, I Can Has Cheezburger, which he runs with his partner, "Tofuburger" (she refuses to disclose her real name) double each month: 375,000 hits in March, 750,000 in April, 1.5 million in May. Cheezburger now gets 500,000 page views a day from between 100,000 and 200,000 unique visitors, according to Nakagawa. The cheapest ad costs $500 for a week. The most expensive goes for nearly $4,000. Nakagawa, an accidental entrepreneur who saw his successful business materialize out of the ether, quit his programming job at the end of May: "It made more sense to do this and see how big it could get."
Yeah, I know the feeling. I've been blogging here for over 4 years, and I've seen my daily traffic go from 10 to 120 visitors a day, and I've made (theoretically) $.08 in money from the Amazon Associates program.

Unfortunately, the proprietor of I Can Has Cheezburger has already found out about how big it's going to get. I hope he's not planning to retire on it, because Internet phenomena come and go.

But still, it's a cool site and it's neat that the fellow can make some scratch from it.

(Link seen on Ann Althouse.)


Comments:
I expect the bubble to burst when everyone discovered that the whole "I can has" thing originated in an error.
 



I still have the 10 visitors a day. Any more than that and I get stage fright.
 



Post a Comment

<< Home
 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."