Thursday, June 28, 2007
 
Book Report: Lake Shore Journal: Jim Marshall's View from the Bridge by James R. Marshall (1999)
I bought this book as part of the "Everything you can fit into the bag is $1" sale at Christ the King church earlier this year. Since I only found five things I wanted, size of the bag be condemned, I paid $.20 for it. It's signed by the author and inscribed, and it came with a flyer from a Lake Superior nursery (the plant kind) as a bookmark, so it's quite a deal, especially since I liked the book.

The book collects a number of Jim Marshall's columns from the Lake Superior Journal in the 1990s. The columns touch on the history of the lake and area quite a bit with a number of stories about friends and running his boat, the Skipper Sam II, on that inland sea. The book offered me a number of ideas for essays and whatnot about the region and a strong urge to visit. I mean, I'm from Wisconsin and all, but I'm from southern Wisconsin.

The book also reminded me that we don't have white birch trees in Missouri. Might not have red squirrels, either. I swear, there are red squirrels in the northern part of Wisconsin and the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Those previously forgotten and almost fantastic memories of my youth.

So pick it up if you're interested in the region or if you just want to do a little exploring from your chair. I liked the book so much, I'm considering subscribing to Lake Superior Magazine, although Jim Marshall died last year, so I won't enjoy more of his stories. It looks like there are another six or seven years of the column online, though.

What an excellent ambassador for the region. This book, too.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."