Sunday, April 29, 2007
 
Book Report: Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet (1983)
I bought this book at the Kirkwood Book Fair this year; I think all of these book club edition plays come from the same fellow's library, but different ones are available each year. I wonder what's up with that.

This play, originally from the early 1980s, was made into a movie in 1992, and I wonder how David Mamet could have stretched this into a 100 minute film; it took me less than that to read it. Perhaps the profanity took longer in the performances than in reading.

The story deals with a high pressure real estate group who sells lots in Florida. Some sales people are rising, some are falling, and a new office manager puts pressure on them to sell. One night, one of the men breaks into the office to steal the all-important leads that identify prospects; working in concert with another salesperson, the new burglar will take the leads and sell them to another office for a job there. Hokay. Not exactly Shakespeare here. A quick read, and it will give me something to compare the movie against if I ever see the movie.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."