Thursday, April 12, 2007
 
Book Report: Fat Ollie's Book by Ed McBain (2002)
This book, written only a couple of books before Fiddlers, focuses on a lesser character from the 87th Precinct novels: Fat Ollie Weeks. This is appropriate, that is a lesser character, as he works in the 88th Precinct, but he's been known to participate in the boys' criminal investigations from time to time, ah, yes. When a councilman is shot before a campaign event, Ollie is the first man up, but he involves Carella and Co. because the vic lived in the 87th. During the course of his initial crime scene inspection, Weeks discovers that his car has been broken into, and someone has made off with the case containing the book he's very proud to have written.

The book lightly interweaves three plots: the investigation into the councilman's death, Weeks's investigation into the theft of his book, and the crook who stole his book's interpretation of the book, entitled Report to the Commissioner. McBain even includes the text of the 36 page "book" written by Weeks, poorly, throughout the book. Remarkable that he (McBain) could write something bad enough to represent the amateur detective/First Grade's work. I mean, I remember when I wrote that poorly, but I'm not sure I could do it now one cue (although perhaps I do it perpetually, which is why I lean away from fiction these days, thank you very much.

Also, as the book focuses on a bigoted character used mostly as comic relief throughout the other books, it gives McBain a chance to do some extra characterization to make Weeks's character sympathetic.

I liked it. I bought it for a buck at a book fair. It's worth more than that, but I'm cheap.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."