Monday, March 12, 2007
 
Book Report: Great True Stories of Crime, Mystery, & Detection by Reader's Digest (1965)
I bought this book at St. Michael's book fair earlier this year; between Great Tales of Mystery & Suspense, my reading pace for the year is shot.

This book runs 574 pages and comes from the pages of Reader's Digest magazine from the first half of the last century. It collects murder mysteries, a couple of ghost stories, and a long piece on the Alger Hiss espionage (starring Congressman Richard Nixon as the hero, which explains why former Vice-President Nixon offered a blurb on the back).

Some of the stories overlap with The World's Most Infamous Crimes and Criminals, but they're told with a punchier (partially digested) style. Also, overall, this book was not as depressing as The World's Most Infamous Crimes and Criminals as it didn't have matter-of-fact accounts of genocide.

Worth the buck, except for the part where it made me spend a week or so reading it. Looks like I'll be reporting on coloring books for the next couple of weeks so I can get my average up.
Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."