Saturday, November 11, 2006
 
Book Report: The Spy Who Never Was & Other True Spy Stories by David C. Knight (1978)
I bought this book this year at the Carondolet Y Book Fair, I think. It's back when I thought I might write for Damn Interesting, so I purposefully sought out compendia like this that would give me inspiration for stories I could write. I never got the gig, but I do have a number of interesting books to read.

It's only after I cracked this book open that the brevity coupled with the large print size indicated that this might be a juvenile book. That's okay, though, as I am often juvenile.

The book contains a number of short chapters on famous spies through history, including Mata Hari, Nathaniel Hale, Gary Powers, and Rudolf Abel. Aside from these well-known figures, the book also covers Major William Martin (see, it is Damn Interesting sort of material); Velvalee Dickinson, spy for Japan in World War II; Peter Ortiz, Marine reserve and leader of the French resistance in WWII; and others. The brief chapters and simple language make it a very quick read and serves as trivia fodder or a source for further investigation.

So it was worth my time, even if I'm three times the age of its target audience. Plus, it's the 76th book I read this year. So there.
Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."