Friday, October 27, 2006
 
Book Report: Hundred Dollar Baby by Robert B. Parker (2006)
This is the new Spenser novel, released this week. I read it. Atypically for me, I read it over the course of two nights. Normally, it only takes one, but I completed The Night Crew, so I didn't get a good run at it.

This book is another one featuring April Kyle, also of Ceremony and Taming a Seahorse. Like the Paul Giacomin cycle, these are trilogies of sorts. This time, April Kyle is back in Boston and is running a franchise brothel for Patricia Utley. When some men come along and want to take the business away from her, she turns to Spenser.

He has to investigate to find out who the men are and why they're after April's business. He finds that everyone's lying to him, including April, and has to hang in there to find out the real story.

It's a pretty good book, I guess, but after 20 years, it's very familiar; the Sandford book was different in that I didn't know what to expect. With this one, I knew pretty much how it would go and realized the storyline pretty early. Still, I shall always be loyal and serve Robert B. Parker as my master.

Books mentioned in this review:


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."