Thursday, September 14, 2006
 
Book Report: Small Felonies by Bill Pronzini (1988)
As you might remember, gentle reader, I read Bill Pronzini's Blowback in May. I thought well enough of it that when I found this particular book at the Carondolet YMCA book fair this month, I picked it up for a dollar. I'd already broken through the buy/not buy barrier and the bottom of a stroller makes it easy to forget how much you've already selected. Not that there was a baby in the stroller, mind you; babies take up room better left to books.

This book collects fifty short short stories in the mystery genre. These stories run under 2000 words for the most part--three or four book pages. They don't offer a great deal of character development, layered nuance, or other such hallmarks of immortal literary fiction that won't survive the decade. They do, however, have plots, crimes, and sometimes a twist of an ending. Sure, they're obvious sometimes and are fairly simple in structure, but they're all good short shorts.

And they're easy and not very intimidating to start reading because they're so short, but it's hard to stop because the next one won't take long, either.

I enjoyed the book, and I'll have to start watching out for short short collections. Also, this book doesn't diminish my view of Pronzini; I think I'll move him a little higher in my unofficial pantheon and start looking for more of his works. For when I start buying books again, which hopefully will be sometime after I've run through my backlog of thousands.

Books mentioned in this review:

 

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."