Saturday, July 15, 2006
 
Book Report: And Then She Was Gone by Susan McBride (1999)
I picked this book up at the Kirkwood Book Fair because I recognized the local author's name from the Big Sleep Books, and this book was a First Edition/First Printing. For a dollar. You cannot do wrong, can you?

Well, it's a child snatch book, and although it's not Nightmare in Manhattan, I didn't care for it that much. I'm just not big on that particular plot thing. Perhaps I just don't have the same nightmares as most parents, but I don't have an automatic investment in child snatch books, even if there's the scandalous confrontation of child molestation! It hearkens me back to my single visit to a starting writers' group in my former suburb, where it was me, a couple of "poets," and a number of old ladies all writing books on child molestation. It creeped me out, I kid you not.

The book is a serviceable genre piece, though, and worth a buck if you can find it. It did, however, alert me to Mayhaven Publishing and its annual novel competition. Boy, novel competitions are starting to look good to me as far as publishing my last novel are concerned.

Books mentioned in this review:

 

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."