Monday, December 26, 2005
 
Book Report: Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove (2002)
I bought this book from the discount rack on the Barnes and Noble in New York at the end of September, and I read it in October, but I have yet to post a report on it as we gave it to my mother-in-law as a gift for Christmas. But here it is, gentle reader: my first foray into Turtledove's alternate history, as best I can remember it.

The premise of the book: The Spanish Armada succeeded, and King Philip deposes Queen Elizabeth and locks her in the tower of London. A London-based playwright, William Shakespeare, becomes intangled in a plot to overthrow the Spanish and must compose a play designed to fire up the British at the same time as he's commissioned to write an elegaic play for Philip.

The book's language and research undoubtedly capture a lot of the time period; the English is modern, but the sentence construction tips its hat to the middle English of Shakespeare's day. Unfortunately, the book slips into a bit of repetition that made me impatient for it to get on with the story. Also, as I was not a student of the detailed history of the era, some of the subtleties are lost on me.

Still, it's an interesting question and perhaps one of Turtledove's lesser efforts--after all, the blogosphere raves about his other work. I won't totally pan it since I did give it as a gift (perhaps a passive-aggressive response for Deliver Us From Evil). However, if you're speed-reading in an effort to make the Fifty Book Challenge, this book presents a speed bump.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."