Sunday, July 24, 2005
 
Historical Perspective
The last time someone other than Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France:
  • Companies were using Windows NT, and home users were buying Packard Bells pre-installed with the new Windows 98. First Edition.

  • Ken Starr was preparing a report that would lead to impeachment of President Clinton.

  • Bill Clinton had not given the televised speech saying he might have inappropriate contact with an intern.

  • NATO was threatening air strikes against Serbia for its continuing slaughter of Albanians.

  • NASDAQ was almost to 2000, less than half of its peak in the dot-com bubble.

  • Matthew Shepherd was an anonymous student in Wyoming.

  • The Truman Show really creeped me out, so I saw it three times in theatres.

  • I was four months into my first job in IT, and four months out of my last blue collar position. I had just moved out of my mother's basement, rock on!, and was about five months ahead of my first IT layoff.

  • I was a mere days away from proposing to my girlfriend, whom I had tricked into moving to St. Louis from Columbia by pretending I was pregnant.

  • John Grisham had dominated the bestseller lists.

  • When you said "Potter," people thought of Sherman T., but that was about to change.

  • More people still used Netscape Navigator than Internet Explorer.

  • Feminism was in an uproar when Ally MacBeal appeared on Time as an icon of feminism.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."