Sunday, June 12, 2005
 
Killing Brand Loyalty
I've owned a Gillette Mach 3 since the razor came to market, and I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in recurring revenue on the expensive little cartridges. But when my current supply is out (unfortunately, quite some time since I buy them at a warehouse store), I shall switch to the Schick Quattro. Why?

Because Gillette lied to me.

I saw the commercials for the Mach 3 Turbo, which allows you to put a battery into your razor. In return, it has a little green light on it and, Gillette claimed, micropulses of electricity would lift the hairs for a closer shave. Well, at least the light worked.
    The judge ruled that Gillette's claims that its M3Power could raise the stubble on one's face were not true.

    The court ordered Gillette to change the TV and print ads and the packaging for the product in 30 days.

    Gillette yesterday asked the court for a clarification. The razor maker argued that neither the packaging nor the instore displays for M3Power depict hairs "changing angle or changing length."

    "'Gentle micro-pulses stimulate hair up and away from skin,' does not suggest that hairs are changing angle or changing length," it argued in court papers.
I was never tempted to buy the stupid thing because I've already got an expensive handle for an expensive razor cartridge, but Gillette brought an expensive product to market that does not do what Gillette says the product does; that is, its selling point is untrue and its value above and beyond the regular Mach 3 does not exist. Gillette did this to try to relieve me of more of my money, and now it will henceforth relieve me of none.

And now that it's caught, it's trying to Clinton its way out of changing its packaging to marketing copy that does not outright lie. Splitting, but not changing the angle or length, of legalistic definitions to save itself 1.6 million dollars.

You know what punishment I would prefer? Gillette would have to run advertisements in the same markets and media as its previous ads with its leaders admitting they tried to pull one over the shaving public.


Comments:
hmmmm, You believed Gillette? Do you believe in the tooth fairy? I am wondering if you might be interested in buying a bridge I own in Brooklyn. :)
jimmyk
http://butthatsjustmyopinion.blogspot.com/
 



Hmmm... I use about four or five disposables a year... shaving only the limited areas where I don't want my beard to grow. Of course, the big challenge comes on the National Day of Mourning—April 15—when the whole beard comes off. Frightens my wife, even though she KNOWS it's coming, but I cover the scary thing up as quickly as possible... with more facial hair.
 



Post a Comment

<< Home
 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."