Wednesday, April 13, 2005
 
Real Men Aren't Afraid To Wear Pink

Someone asserts: "Pretty (cool!) in pink", which not only offers a bright shirt with the caption Tough Guys Wear Pink, but also asserts:
    What do baby blankets, bridesmaids, hip-hop artists and skaters have in common?

    Pink!

    In case you haven't left the house or turned on MTV in the past 12 months, pink is hot for guys. And girls are hot for guys in pink.
Reminds me of my grandmother's second wedding. I was an usher, blushing with the responsibility at 19. The wedding colors included pink, and the dictum would indicate I would wear a pink shirt. Acourse, as a poor boy, I didn't own any pink shirts and didn't have the fiscal wherewithall to readily acquire one. Besides, I don't like pink. So I said I'd wear a white shirt, of which I had plenty because in those days, you damn kids, grocery store baggers wore slacks, white shirts, and ties.

"Real men aren't afraid to wear pink," my stepmother manipulated.

You see, friends, real men (of whom tough guys are but a subset) don't follow the dictations of fashion magazines and newspaper columns. Why, every time I look at the style section of FHM or Playboy, I smirk. The guys down at Tap City would beat the cosmopolitan out of me if I tried to real the suggested clothing among them, and I wouldn't blame them; t-shirts should come free with proofs-of-purchase or should cost under $10 for a brand name advertisement or under $15 for saying something clever. They should not cost $30 to display a fashionplate of an upscale store and should never be worn under a sport coat unless you're Billy Joel or Billy Jack circa 1979.

You want to know what real men do? They do whatever they want, in a burly fashion.

If they want to wear pink, no one says a word. And if they think pink clothes are fru-fru, they don't wear them contrary to the prevailing winds of fashion. And they post blog entries about it.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."