Thursday, November 11, 2004
 
Tales from Psuedo Bachelorhood IV

DVDs III and IV: El Mariachi and Desperado.

Wow, with El Mariachi, I felt sophisticated since it was a foreign film with subtitles. It didn't hurt that I could recognize or improve upon the English subtitles with my on-the-spot translation.... Perhaps students who want to learn Spanish should watch more videos with subtitles as part of immersion learning. This film certainly had a Western feel to it.

Desperado, on the other hand, does diminish the experience somewhat. Of course, watching them back-to-back, one immediately recognizes the casting of the original Mariachi, Carlos Gallardo, as Campo. Still, the moviereminds me of watching a third person shooter video game. And although Selma Hayek's navel is nice, come on: the hair looks a little coarser than the vibrant, auburn locks that make a man's heart race.

Also, is it just me, or are the villians in both movies kinda gringoesque?

Perhaps I'm just sensitive. Or perhaps Robert Rodriguez is demonstrating his anti-Anglo bigotry. But since I could empathize with the universal nature of his hero, I forgive him.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."