Sunday, August 22, 2004
 
The Benefits of a Classical Education

I love it when I get an allusion made by some author, whether it's Robert B. Parker or Varifrank, who quotes:
    It's not like John Kerry hasn't tried to run for President before, and got nowhere, not even out of the early democrat primaries. He's been "unwept, unhonoured, and unsung" for some time, and he's a not exactly a stunning member of the Senate, he barely makes any kind of presence.
That's Sir Walter Scott. I can almost quote the complete couplet.

Just don't tell my mother-in-law, the former English teacher whom I impressed at our first meeting by reciting "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", that I know this particular quote because, in the movie Groundhog Day, Andie MacDowell's character Rita recites it to Bill Murray's character Phil Conners and she attributes it. Knowning how I know what I know often spoils the illusion.

(Link seen on Instapundit.)


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."