Friday, June 18, 2004
 
Where Was I? Who Was I?

Via A Small Victory, we have this interesting little meandering down memory lane. Where where you when:
  1. Where were you when you heard that Ronald Reagan died?
    I heard he was ailing on my way down to my aunt's house for a garage sale; I read he died later that night when I got home.

  2. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
    At work. The Internet news sites got very slow, and as I walked to get some coffee, I heard a radio in another office with news of a plane disaster in New York. Within an hour, much of the company had gathered in a conference room to watch the only television in our offices, Peter Jennings the condescending Canadian our only available station through the wire serving as the television's antenna.

  3. Where were you when you heard that Princess Diana died?
    I don't know, and I don't care. That particular bit of trivia doesn't matter to me.

  4. Do you remember where you were when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?
    No.

  5. Take one for The Gipper: What’s your favorite flavor of jelly bean?
    Mint? Licorice? I don't favor them.

  6. Where were you when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS?
    I don't know, and I don't care. That particular bit of trivia doesn't matter to me.

  7. Where were you when Reagan was shot?
    Carleton Elementary School, 41st and Silver Spring, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. When I got home, it was on television. I knew it was important, but didn't know why. I was 9.

  8. Where were you when the Challenger exploded?
    Eighth grade study hall at North Jefferson Junior High School in Murphy, Missouri. A couple selected students each day got to go use the Commodore 64 computers in the back of the library, and they saw it on a small television back there. I was not one of them, but the news filtered to the rest of the study hall. It was announced over the loudspeaker in 6th hour, when I was sitting in Ms. Smith's math class.

  9. Where were you when the 0J verdict was announced?
    Working as an assistant editor at The Paint Dealer magazine, I was working on a Macintosh, compiling the magazine's first annual directory of paint and sundries distributors. Small office, one room shared with the director of distribution, the associate editor, the advertising saleswoman, and me, so there was much discussion. Actually, it was just the director of distribution pontificating, but she could really fill the air.

There you have it.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."