Wednesday, May 05, 2004
 
Steinberg Stings Greene

In his current column in the Chicago Sun Times, stings Bob Greene in a simile:
    My room at the David Intercontinental looked down on the beach. The first night I couldn't sleep, so went downstairs to slog through the Mediterranean and join what looked like about 10,000 people partying on the sand. I expected young adults dancing the hora. What I found were high school students, some falling-down drunk, clutching tequila bottles. I tried assessing the mood of Israeli youth, which seems to have absorbed our core American values. "I want to be a star!'' exuded Tal Zolti, 16. Their English was good, but I started feeling like Bob Greene crashing the junior prom, and after one kid called me "Grandpa'' I decided it was time to head back upstairs.
Remember, Bob Greene resigned his position at the Chicago Tribune after having an affair with a seventeen-year-old girl (legal in Illinois, fellows!) whom he met on the job.

Me, I am disappointed. Not because I am a fan of Greene's, which I am, but because I've been polishing my own Greene zingers since I'm reading Bob Greene's America and will undoubtedly deploy those zingers in the online review.

Unfortunately, now they'll seem derivative of a real writer. Thanks a lot, Mr. Steinberg.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."