Wednesday, May 19, 2004
 
Good Advice, Forsaken When Relevant

I give Kass and Steinberg and Roeper all the linky-love they get in the blogosphere, but I haven't linked to the Chicago Tribune's Mary Schmich. You know, she wrote the column about wearing sunscreen, which contains these immortal lines:
    Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.
Oh, how I should have heeded those words in 1997, when I was but five and twenty. Now that I am older and broken down, I know the truth in the beauty, strength, stamina, and wit I possessed when I was young. But I am an old man now, and that's all gone.


 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."