Wednesday, January 14, 2004
 
Shine Up The Land Seizure Jackboots

I saw this story in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and was smitten with the title. New Urbanism! In St. Louis!

Except it's in St. Louis County, which doesn't have much of the old urbanism really. And then I realized the location in mind: Hanley Industrial Court. I work on the edges of Hanley Industrial Court. New Urbanist, this area ain't.

Across Hanley, Richmond Heights just eminent domained a pile of houses to build a Walmartplex, and the area features three drive-to shopping complexes (four, if you count the new Meridian). Acres of parking lots is not New Urbanism. And wait a minute... in Hanley Industrial Court, there are....industries.....

Wait a minute:
    There, the $48 million, 8-acre Hanley Station is being planned by MLP Investments, a Frontenac-based developer. MLP envisions a neighborhood where condo dwellers walk to upscale restaurants and stores, and eventually, take the MetroLink to the St. Louis Galleria or Forest Park. A proposed light-rail station would be integrated into the town center-style community.
It will come to pass, I bet, when Brentwood seizes condemns through eminent domain the majority of the industrial court. It's blighted, don't you know.

And if it's not now, it will be. I've walked through the industrial court and have seen buildings for sale or rent back there. Now that the developments are being planned, who's going to waste money buying a building that's going to be seized? Who's going to take out a lease, not knowing when it will be ab-ended by the municipality? Suddenly, those vacancies, which would have been filled by the business cycle and the marketplace, stand empty. A blight, I tell you!

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a piedmont here, but I know that the Animal Protective Association, where we get all of our quality recycled animals, just renovated, and Centene just did some work to make a mail distribution/child care center in the industrial court. I'd hate for them to lose it. Also, since my employer's currently occupying a building at the edge of one of the megastripmallplexes, I'd hate for them to move anywhere that's not closer to me.

Bear this in mind, you foolish local governments, when you realize all the industrial jobs are disappearing from your area. Why is that?

Because you wanted the sales tax from the discount store/electronic store/strip mall instead!

New Urbanism my johnk.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."