Monday, December 08, 2003
 
On the AM Radio

On Sunday, while frantically scanning the AM band for the Packers game, I uncovered Real Oldies 1430. Ahhhh.

Friends, the FM band in the St. Louis area has consolidated into a half dozen "Greatest Hits of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and Now!" station, each of which distinguishes itself by playing the eighteen song nationalized playlist in a different order! The Great Oldies Shift has stripped fifties and early sixties music from the dial, instead focusing on the decade popularized by That 70s Show and the "retro" Reagan era.

So I'm happy to see a station still playing the older stuff, and on AM radio. That's how this was supposed to sound, with a hint of static. Man, I hear it and I hearken back to my youth, back in 1964, cruising for girls with Bob Greene. No, wait, that's a little before I was born, but rest assured, you damn kids, AM radio was not.

So pardon me while I dabble in some of my own nostalgia and some borrowed. You kids wouldn't appreciate the subtle hiss of a groove either. Get offa my lawn, or I'll beat you with the frozen hose.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."