Monday, December 15, 2003
 
Brian Gets His Second Perfect Score

Well, friends, I have gotten my second perfect score on a philosophy test. My beautiful wife led me to a test that rather simplistically asks a dozen questions to determine how your thinking relates to those of profound thinkers from ages past. And I got 100!
  1. Ayn Rand (100%)
  2. John Stuart Mill (86%)
  3. Jean-Paul Sartre (74%)
  4. Aristotle (65%)
  5. Kant (64%)
I would have to explain my seeming embrace of utilitarianism as a recognition of the tension between assuming rational people will follow the rules and the embrace of the rule of law to ensure that everyone minds a handful of codified manners. Which also explains why I won't vote Libertarian for an executive branch position, sort of. While I'm sure that you, a reasonable person, will understand that theft is wrong, I'd rather have the pooled power of the State to enforce it in case you forget.

Also, there's the problem with shoehorning my thought into a radio button answer, and the interpretation of the questions. However, let us recognize that the greatest good for the individual is also the greatest good for the greatest number. Some will fall through the cracks willfully or not, but that's the nature of the statistics. All the children cannot be above average.

What about my other perfect score? Funny you should ask. My only perfect score on a college exam was my sophomore year in my Philosophy 104: Ethics. Man, I wonder how well I would have done in that class if I had bought the textbook? (Ask me sometime about paying your way as you go through a prestigious private university, and I will tell you how to get around niceties like textbooks.)

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."