Tuesday, October 14, 2003
 
Book Review: When You Ride Alone You Ride with Bin Laden by Bill Maher (2002)

Well, I've gotten a new membership in the Quality Paperback book club, so I can get cheap, household wall friendly copies of books that I might disagree with, violently.

First on the list: When You Ride Alone You Ride with Bin Laden by Bill Maher. Anyone else remember him with Geena Davis in Sara? No? His agent's undoubtedly relieved.

Something about Maher's political stands as the leading libertarian dished out by HBO bothers me. Some of his stances seem okay, but every time I would watch Politically Incorrect or Real Time with Bill Maher I am yoked into agreement with him just enough that I suffer a physiological response when he expresses something I heartily dispute. So it was good for me to get my hands on this book so I could isolate exactly where we differ.

Fortunately, I didn't pick up a heavy tome. This book is a quick collection of musings coupled with posters designed for the War on Terror. One, Bill Maher is for the War on Terror, is for a strong response, and recognizes it's a clash of civilizations. Not toeing the Libertarian isolationist party line, but that's ok. I don't either. The biggest thrust of this book is that we need to stiffen up, stop pretending to have security in our airports, and act like we're at war. Okay, I dig the whole stop-partying-like-its-1999-already thing.

Maher also hits some of the themes of proper libertarian thought when he wants to legalize drugs, continue with free speech, and that the federak government should focus on its two proper roles, police and defense, but a little less on the policing, thanks.

But Maher jumps the libertarian rails when he invokes Barbie E's Book of Shadows and raises the whole anti-capitalist raise-the-minimum-wage bit. He wants to cut subsidies (yes!) but dispense more foreign aid because we can (not to further our interests, but because it's nice), and by "we" he means with your compulsory tax donation, friend. Hey, he gives 50% of his income seven figure income, you give 25% of your lower five, what's not to like?

Also, amid the rallying cries of "Every citizen a soldier!" and "Vigilence is the eternal price of liberty!" (my interpretations, but his bits are entitled "Make Them Fight All of Us" and "Neighbors Looking Out for Neighbors", I am not stretching it too much), but he's in favor of gun control (he thinks Reagan could have rammed it through immediately after the assassination attempt). Every citizen a vigilent soldier with a cell phone to call the authorities! Hardly the militia that the forefathers envisioned which Maher almost wants.

I'd recommend the book when it gets remaindered. It's got a good crystallization of Maher's thoughts behind his glib comments (the crystals are 1-2 page miniature essays akin to Dennis Miller's rants but not as clever and just a little more earnest). It's also a quick read, being short pieces jammed between the sofa cushions of posters and pages containing quotes from the pieces.

Personally, the book has changed my life. I now remember to turn out the light when I leave a room to stop wasting energy. It's a small part I can play to making the country more energy efficient and lowering my energy bills a small percentage. I'd forgotten its simple importance. I'll be adamant about doing it until I forget again next week.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."