Monday, May 19, 2003
 
Another Luddite Heard From

Larry Blasko from AP has got a really nice piece in the Washington Post describing one of the best computer backup media ever: paper.

I have worked on computers too long, both physically (A+ certified, donchaknow?) and on the software side to trust anything to the vagaries of technology. I mean, some of the coolest short stories I ever wrote are safe enough, I think, on 5.25" floppies that fit into a Commodore 1571 disk drive. But that's no good if I cannot get to them.

Until I am struck blind, though, I can read and retype paper copies. In case you're wondering how many copies I have of the most important document I have created in the last year (my novel manuscript John Donnelly's Gold), the answer is ten, and many are stored off site.

 
To say Noggle, one first must be able to say the "Nah."